Consultation Options

We offer a number of engagement and consultation options. Initial case evaluations and quotes are always free.

Live Chats and Webinars

We provide many opportunities for clients and readers to learn about new developments, ask questions or simply comment. Join us for our weekly live chat or our monthly (or more often) webinars.

Contact and Quote Forms

Nonimmigrant Visas/Temporary Workers

Home/Practices/Nonimmigrant Visas/Temporary Workers
Nonimmigrant Visas/Temporary Workers 2017-05-20T21:46:56+00:00

Nonimmigrant Visas/Temporary Workers

Nonimmigrant visas are intended for non-U.S. citizens coming into the U.S. temporarily for work, vacation, business meetings, marriage, school, etc. A nonimmigrant visa allows its holder to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (like an airport) and request permission to enter the U.S. for defined short-term period of up to three years. A nonimmigrant visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. There are a variety of nonimmigrant visa types, each relating to the principal purpose of the holder’s travel into the U.S. While in the U.S., temporary visitors are restricted to the activity or reason for which their nonimmigrant visa was issued, with few exceptions.

The U.S. immigration laws provide several categories of nonimmigrant visas for persons who wish to work temporarily in the United States. In addition to specific requirements for each specific type of visa, there are also annual numerical limits on some classifications. Most of the annual numerical limits, e.g. for H-1B visas, are exhausted extremely quickly every year and foreign nationals wishing to obtain a temporary working visa should plan carefully and well in advance. In addition to obtaining temporary work visas for foreign individuals, we assist companies and individuals in workplace mobility by preparing a variety of transfer, amendment, or extension petitions.

What we can do for you?

  • Help you obtain a visitors’ B-1 or B-2 visa and advise you on compliance with the B visa requirements.
  • Advise nationals eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) on the VWP’s requirements.
  • Help you obtain F-1 or F-2 student visa and advise you on compliance with the F visa requirements.
  • Help you obtain H-1B work visa or H-4 derivative visa; advise you on compliance and long-term residency planning, and; extend or amend H-1B or H-4 visas.
  • Help you obtain intercompany transferee L-1A, L-1B and L-2 visas; advise you on compliance and long-term planning, and; extend or amend L visas.
  • Help you obtain a NAFTA visa (TN) for Mexican and Canadian citizens, and; advise you on compliance and requirements.
  • Explain to you the applicable nonimmigrant visas and their requirements based on your individual case.
  • Advise you on the best alternatives for obtaining U.S. work visa.
  • Advise you on critical time periods, deadlines, and strategies for obtaining temporary work visa under certain visa number limits.
  • Help you obtain H-1B temporary work visa or H-4 spouse visa.
  • Help you amend, extend, or transfer your H-1B visa.
  • Help you amend, extend, or transfer your L visa.
  • Help you “recapture” time spent outside the U.S.
  • Help you obtain an employment authorization document (EAD).
  • Help you with long-term immigration planning beyond your work visa.
  • Advise you on compliance with labor and immigration laws.
  • Advise you on the best course of action given your individual needs.
  • Change of status to or from another nonimmigrant visa type.